CALL FOR A Free CONSULTATION 309 820-0600 309 820-0600

Personal Injury FAQ

Q: I have been in an accident.  What should I do?

A: Contact law enforcement and your insurance carrier as soon as possible.  It is important that you obtain information about the other driver(s) involved and any witnesses, including contact information, insurance information, and driver’s license information.  If you contact an experienced attorney quickly, we can also assist you in obtaining this information.  You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible.  Take photographs documenting all damage and personal injury. Information about the accident scene such as the position of the cars, photographs of the scene, and weather and lighting conditions can also assist your case.

Additionally, we encourage you not to speak to anyone other than your attorney about your case.  Often, various outside parties request to speak to our clients after an accident.  Many of our clients are unaware that they do not have to speak to anyone or grant any interviews or statements.


Q: If I was injured, who will pay my medical bills?

A: Illinois is a traditional insurance state; every registered vehicle must be insured for certain minimums:

  • Injury or death of one person: $20,000
  • Injury or death of more than one person: $40,000
  • Damage to someone else’s property: $15,000

Your insurance may provide for more coverage than the minimums shown.  However, because Illinois is a standard insurance state, the law allows you to sue another driver if you were not at fault in the accident.  This means that if the accident was the other driver’s fault and your damages exceed the other driver’s minimum coverage, you can file a lawsuit to recover the rest of your damages.


Q: I was not hurt right away, but some time has passed and now I think I might be suffering from something related to the accident I was in.  What should I do?

A: In many cases, injuries related to serious accidents can take some time to appear.  Illinois law provides you up to two years after an accident in which you must file your lawsuit.  Any discomfort you might feel after an accident, no matter how minor it might seem, could be the sign of a more serious injury.  It is best to seek medical treatment to document the problem and start treating it as soon as possible.  You should also notify both your health and automobile insurance so that you can recover any expenses you have incurred if the accident was not your fault.

If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed in an accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you get the recovery you are entitled to, explain all of your options to you, and help you return to the life you had before the accident.  To schedule a free consultation with an experienced Illinois personal injury attorney, contact Kelly & Castagna.